Latest DataStage Interview Questions and Answers
What are the types of Containers?
There are two types of containers are :
What are the components of Ascential Data Stage?
Client Components : Administrator, Director, Manager, and Designer.
Server Components : Repository, Server and Plug–ins.
What is the difference between DataStage version 5.2 and 6.0?
Version 5.2 doesn’t have – IPC Stage ,Link Partition Stage,Link Collector Stage and Parallel Extender.
What is dynamic array?
Dynamic arrays map the structure of DataStage file records to character string data. Any character string can be a dynamic array. A dynamic array is a character string containing elements that are substrings separated by delimiters.
What is universe stage?
A stage that extracts data from or loads data into a Universe database using SQL. Used to represent a data source, an aggregation step, or a target data table.
What are the types of stage?
A stage can be passive or active. A passive stage handles access to databases for the extraction or writing of data. Active stages model the flow of data and provide mechanisms for combining data streams, aggregating data, and converting data from one data type to another. There are two types of stage :
Built in stages : Supplied with DataStage and used for extracting, aggregating, transforming, or writing data.
Plug in stages : Additional stages defined in the DataStage Manager to perform tasks that the built-in stages do not support.
What is datastage job?
DataStage jobs consist of individual stages. Each stage describes a particular database or process. For example, one stage may extract data from a data source, while another transforms it. Stages are added to a job and linked together using the designer.
What are the types of server components?
* Datastage Server
* Datastage Package Installer
What is data aggregation?
An operational data source usually contains records of individual transactions such as product sales. If the user of a data warehouse only needs a summed total, you can reduce records to a more manageable number by aggregating the data.
What is the difference between DataStage and Informatica?
* DataStage support parallel processing which Informatica doesn’t.
* Links are object in the DataStage, in Informatica it’s a port to port connectivity.
* In Informatica its easy to implement Slowly Changing Dimensions which is little bit complex in dataStage.
* DataStage doesn’t support complete error handling.
What is datastage director?
The DataStage Director is the client component that validates, runs, schedules, and monitors jobs run by the DataStage Server.
A collection of linked stages, data elements, and transforms that define how to extract, cleanse, transform, integrate, and load data into a target database.
What is the difference between maps and locales?
Maps : Defines the character sets that the project can use.
Locales : Defines the local formats for dates, times, sorting order, and so on that the project can use.
What is metadata?
Data about data. A table definition which describes the structure of the table is an example of meta data.
What are the types of datastage clients?
* Datastage Administrator
* Datastage Designer
* Datastage manager
* Datastage Director
Where the DataStage stored his repository?
DataStage stored his repository in IBM Universe Database.
What is the difference between Server Job and Parallel Jobs?
Server Jobs works in sequential way while parallel jobs work in parallel fashion (Parallel Extender work on the principal of pipeline and partition) for I/O processing.
What are the types of jobs available in datastage?
* Server Job
* Parallel Job
* Sequencer Job
* Container Job
What are the main features of datastage?
DataStage has the following features to aid the design and processing required to build a data warehouse :
* Uses graphical design tools. With simple point and click techniques you can draw a scheme to represent your processing requirements.
* Extracts data from any number or types of database.
* Handles all the metadata definitions required to define your data warehouse.
* You can view and modify the table definitions at any point during the design of your application.
* Aggregates data.
* You can modify SQL SELECT statements used to extract data.
* Transforms data. DataStage has a set of predefined transforms and functions. you can use to convert your data. You can easily extend the functionality by defining your own transforms to use.
* Loads the data warehouse.
What are the components of datastage?
Datastage consists of a number of client and server components. Datastage has four client components :
* Datastage Designer
* Datastage Director
* Datastage Manager
* Datastage Administrator.