TOP Medical Representative Interview Questions and Answers
What are the challenges in being a Pharmaceutical Sales Person?
The true challenge for a Pharma salesperson, is to convince a doctor to switch from a drug that he or she is prescribing to their patient.
What are the key responsibilities of a medical representative?
The typical work activities that a medical representative has to do is
- Increase Sales
- Increase awareness of the brand
- Increase market share
- Meet and exceed targets
- 6-7 calls per day and fixing appointments
- Manage the territory like a small business
- Build a relationship and convey product information
How can you become a successful pharmaceutical representative?
Pharmaceutical sales is a high turnover business and to get its foot into it requires
- Positive Approach
- Good Network and Focussing on Sales call
- Good communication skills
- Good product knowledge
- Understanding market value of your product
- Good research on competitors and their sales target
Explain why pharma sales is different than other sales?
- Pharmaceutical sales is an indirect sales role
- Pharmaceutical sales have no order to close or contract to sign
- It serves for an expert physician promoting product through education and awareness
Is there any software available in the market to help to track their sales and progress?
Pharmaceutical specific ERP software are available in the market which can be useful to track the total number of sales, exact customer location; profit made quarterly, sales management, stock information from stockiest and so on.
How you can convince a physician to switch to your drug?
To convince a physician to switch on to your drug is most challenging task especially when he is happy with its current drugs.
To switch on to your prescribed drug, your first step is to
- Make your presence by setting small sales initially let say targeting 1 or 2 patient and target bigger later on
- Gain complete knowledge about the drug and observe the prescribing behaviour of physician
- Use your product knowledge and other tools to make physician understand your product.
- Once the physician show his confidence in the product, push him to prescribe your product for more patients
What is your expectation from your sales manager?
- Provide you with all amenities and tools required for job
- Knowledge and tips to increase sales
- One who can assess your potential and set realistic goals
- One who supports and use his knowledge and yours to bring synergetic result
What will be your approach if you are given a territory and a list of physician to call on?
80% of business comes from 20% of the people. For a given territory, your first approach should be
- Analyse and see the customers and their potential
- Gather all the data’s of sales particularly in the area you are given
- Target those physician or customers who have bigger sales potential
Later, you can start calling for appointments
What is the training aspect, if one is selected for the sales representative position?
The training can include
- University or school studying all the aspect of the product
- Training on field with an experienced representative
- Learning anatomy and physiology to competitor’s products
How many product does a med rep usually carry? How do you get bonuses paid on them?
Usually, a med rep carries 2-3 products and sometimes four if it is an experienced guy. Each product is responsible to a portion of the rep’s sales bonus. To get bonuses paid, they have to sell all the products and meet the decided quota
How many sales calls are you supposed to make each day?
Your sales depend on how often you see your physicians and make contacts. To achieve maximum sales it is desirable to make maximum calls and fix the appointments. On average, any company demands around 10-12 calls a day.